If you have trouble sleeping, these simple and totally doable pointers can make a huge difference. Try them out to help you sleep like a baby.
1. Turn off your screens at least 90 minutes before going to bed. The blue light from electronic screens halts the production of the sleep inducing hormone melatonin.
2. Only use your bed for sleep and sex. That’s what the experts say. It’s basically the golden rule of good sleep hygiene. Working, watching TV, or scrolling your feeds while under the covers breaks that positive association. To get good sleep, you must teach your brain that your bed is for two things – sleep and sex.
3. Turn the thermostat down. Research shows that body temperature drops as you drift off. Help yourself out by keeping your bedroom a cool 60-67 to fall asleep easier.
4. Exercise every day. Move for 30 minutes so you can snooze better every night.
5. Don’t drink booze before bed. Booze might help you pass out, but it causes poor quality sleep, according to the National Sleep Foundation. It interferes with your circadian rhythm, blocks REM sleep, and makes breathing problems worse.
6. Get a better pillow. Your sleep might suck because your pillow is too flat or too fat. Upgrade to a pillow that supports without jacking it up.
7. Turn your clock around so you can’t see it from bed. Watching the time tick by is stressful, and anxiety can keep you up at night. Turn the clock around so you aren’t tempted to check it a million times in the middle of the night.
8. Stop drinking caffeine at least eight hours before you go to bed. It takes eight hours for your system to clear most of the caffeine from a cup of coffee. So, if you go to bed at 11 PM on most nights, have your last cup of coffee before 3 PM, so you can fall asleep easier and sleep deeper.