As much as some of us may be ready for the winter months to come to an end, in many places in the United States it seems like we might be in for cold weather for a while longer. If you live in a chilly place, then taking care of your skin throughout the winter season is absolutely essential. Cold weather is especially harsh on the skin, and it can make it raw, itchy, irritated, or dry. Frigid temps can even lead to people’s skin aging more quickly.
Follow these precautionary actions to protect your skin no matter how few degrees it is outside:
1. Apply rich hydrating lotions to your entire body immediately after you get out of the shower. If your body is still slightly wet the lotion will contain the natural moisture, as well as giving you its own hydration.
2. Carry a honey based hand lotion with you at all times and wear gloves when you go outside. Apply the lotion whenever your hands feel dry. Our hands and faces are frequently exposed to the elements, so they need extra special care.
3. Put a light moisturizer with SPF on your face in the morning and at night in order to keep it protected from anything mother nature throws your way.
4. Keep a moisturizing lip balm with SPF in your packet or purse. Frequently apply it before you feel your lips drying out to be proactive instead of reactive. Once lips dry out it can take a long time for them to feel healthy again.
5. Drink TONS of water. At least two Nalgenes (or two liters) a day. This is ultimately the best thing you can do for your skin. Beyond the manufactured creams and lotions, water is the natural way to keep your skin feeling healthy and moisturized.